Historic Central St Andalusia, AL 36420
Andalusia Alabama Museum, Covington County History, Located downtown in the old Central Of Georgia Railway Depot building (listed in the National Register of Historic Places about 1985) Railroad Museum
View artifacts from the past, View Norfolk Southern Caboose, Old Time River Falls Post Office, Items from the various Wars, hundreds of other relics of the past, a bottle collection, The Horse Shoe Lumber Company,
The Three Notch Museum is a historic site located in Andalusia, Alabama, USA. The museum is named after the “Three Notch Road,” which was an early 19th-century transportation route that connected Pensacola, Florida, to the Alabama River at Fort Claiborne. The museum’s goal is to preserve and celebrate the history and culture of Andalusia and Covington County.
The museum is housed in a restored train depot that was built in 1907. The depot is an example of early 20th-century architecture, and its restoration was made possible by the Andalusia Area Chamber of Commerce. The museum’s exhibits are spread over two floors, and visitors can explore a wide range of historical artifacts, including old photographs, documents, and memorabilia.
One of the most notable exhibits at the Three Notch Museum is the collection of World War II memorabilia. The exhibit features items such as uniforms, helmets, medals, and other items used by soldiers during the war. Visitors can also see photographs of local soldiers who fought in the war and learn about their contributions.
The museum also has a collection of Native American artifacts, including arrowheads, pottery, and other items used by the indigenous people of the area. Visitors can learn about the history and culture of these tribes and their contributions to the development of the region.
The Three Notch Museum also features exhibits on the area’s agriculture and timber industries. These exhibits showcase the tools and equipment used by farmers and loggers in the early days of the county’s development. Visitors can see old plows, hand tools, and other farming equipment that was used to cultivate the land in the region.
Another highlight of the museum is the collection of antique automobiles. Visitors can see a variety of cars from different eras, including classic cars from the 1920s and 1930s, as well as more modern vehicles. The museum also features a variety of motorcycles and other types of vehicles.
In addition to the exhibits, the museum also hosts events and educational programs throughout the year. These events include lectures, workshops, and other activities that are designed to promote an understanding and appreciation of the history and culture of the region. The museum is a popular destination for school field trips and other educational groups.
Overall, the Three Notch Museum is a must-see attraction for anyone interested in the history and culture of Andalusia and Covington County. Its collection of artifacts, exhibits, and educational programs provide visitors with a unique and fascinating glimpse into the past. Whether you are a local resident or a tourist visiting the area, the Three Notch Museum is an experience that should not be missed.
10 of the best things to do in the Andalusia and Covington County area:
- Explore the Conecuh National Forest, which covers over 83,000 acres and offers opportunities for hiking, camping, and fishing.
- Take a tour of the historic Covington County Courthouse, which was built in 1916 and is now home to the Covington County Historical Society.
- Visit the Frank Jackson State Park, which offers a variety of outdoor activities, including boating, fishing, and swimming.
- Check out the Gantt Lake, a popular spot for fishing, swimming, and boating.
- Take a trip to the Florala State Park, which features a beautiful lake, hiking trails, and picnic areas.
- Attend the annual World Championship Domino Tournament in Andalusia, which attracts competitors from all over the world.
- Explore the historic district of downtown Andalusia, which features many beautiful buildings and unique shops.
- Visit the Straughn Schoolhouse, which was built in 1898 and is now a museum showcasing life in a one-room schoolhouse.
- Take a scenic drive along the Three Notch Road, which is now a designated scenic byway and offers beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.
- Visit the Evans Barnes Golf Course, which is a popular destination for golf enthusiasts and features a well-manicured 18-hole course.