300 Gates Ave SE Huntsville, AL 35801
The Weeden House Museum and Garden is a historic site located in Huntsville, Alabama, built in 1819 and purchased by the Weeden family in 1845. Today, the house is open to the public and features guided tours, showcasing the original furnishings and décor from the time the Weeden family lived there. The highlight of the property is the traditional English garden filled with a variety of plants and flowers. The house's interior contains several beautifully decorated rooms that reflect the period in which it was built.
Visitors to the Weeden House Museum and Garden can enjoy a variety of activities and experiences. Guided tours offer insight into the history of the house and the Weeden family, while the picturesque garden provides a peaceful and scenic setting for a leisurely stroll. The museum also hosts a variety of events throughout the year, from weddings and corporate events to educational programs and workshops. No matter what your interests, the Weeden House Museum and Garden is a fascinating and enjoyable destination in Huntsville, Alabama.
10:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.-(tours are 2 times a day)
Hours are subject to change
Doors Open & Tours Begin Precisely At 10:00 AM & 1:00 PM
All tours of the Weeden House Museum and Garden are guided and typically take around an hour to complete.
The Weeden House Museum and Garden is a fascinating historic site in Huntsville, Alabama. This beautiful and well-preserved home was built in 1819 by H.C. Bradford and was later purchased by Maria Howard Weeden’s parents in 1845. The Weeden family lived in the house until 1956 when it was purchased by the Twickenham Historic Preservation District Association.
Today, the Weeden House Museum and Garden is open to the public and is a popular attraction for tourists and locals alike. The house has been lovingly restored to its original condition, with many of the original furnishings and décor on display. Visitors can take a guided tour of the house and learn about the history of the Weeden family and their impact on Huntsville.
One of the main highlights of the Weeden House is the stunning garden that surrounds the property. The garden is designed in the style of a traditional English garden and features a wide variety of plants and flowers. Visitors can take a leisurely stroll through the garden and enjoy the fragrant blooms and picturesque scenery.
Inside the house, visitors can explore several beautifully appointed rooms that have been decorated to reflect the time period in which the house was built. The rooms are filled with fascinating antiques, original artwork, and period-appropriate furniture. Some of the standout rooms include the parlor, dining room, and library, which showcase the Weeden family’s wealth and refined tastes.
The Weeden House Museum and Garden is also a popular event venue and is available for weddings, corporate events, and other special occasions. The museum offers a variety of event packages to suit every need and budget, and the picturesque garden and elegant interior of the house make for a stunning backdrop for any event.
In addition to guided tours and events, the Weeden House also hosts a variety of educational programs throughout the year. These programs include lectures, workshops, and hands-on activities for children. Visitors can learn about the history of the house and the Weeden family, as well as the broader history of Huntsville and the surrounding area.
The Weeden House Museum and Garden is located in the heart of Huntsville’s historic Twickenham district. This area is filled with beautiful historic homes and landmarks, making it a popular destination for history buffs and architecture enthusiasts. Visitors can easily spend a whole day exploring the area and taking in the rich history and culture of this charming Alabama city.
In conclusion, the Weeden House Museum and Garden is a must-see attraction for anyone visiting Huntsville, Alabama. This beautifully preserved historic home offers a fascinating glimpse into the past and is a testament to the rich history and culture of this southern city. With its stunning gardens, beautifully appointed rooms, and fascinating history, the Weeden House is truly a gem of Huntsville.
Best historic destinations and museums to visit in Huntsville, Alabama:
- U.S. Space and Rocket Center: This museum is dedicated to the history of space exploration and features a wide variety of exhibits and interactive displays.
- Huntsville Depot and Museum: This museum is housed in a historic train station and features exhibits on the history of rail transportation in Huntsville and the surrounding area.
- Burritt on the Mountain: This living history museum is located on a mountain overlooking Huntsville and features a variety of historic homes and buildings.
- Alabama Constitution Village: This museum is a living history village that recreates life in Huntsville during the early 19th century.
- Twickenham Historic District: This neighborhood is filled with beautifully preserved historic homes and is a great place to take a stroll and admire the architecture.
- Weeden House Museum and Garden: This historic home and garden is beautifully preserved and offers a fascinating glimpse into life in Huntsville during the 19th century.
- Harrison Brothers Hardware Store: This historic store has been in continuous operation since 1897 and features a wide variety of antiques and other items for sale.
- Historic Huntsville Foundation: This organization offers a variety of tours and events focused on the history and architecture of Huntsville and the surrounding area.
Whether you’re a history buff or just interested in learning more about the rich culture and heritage of Huntsville, these historic destinations and museums are definitely worth a visit. Each one offers a unique and fascinating glimpse into the past, and will help you appreciate the rich history and culture of this charming southern city.