208 S Houston St Scottsboro, AL 35768
Scottsboro-Jackson Heritage Center, Ante-bellum Brown-Proctor Housebuilt in known as "Sagetown" Was the 1868 Jackson County Courthouse
Special events, art exhibits, heritage festivals. musical and theatrical performances offers genealogical research, exhibits throughout the year
Mon-Fri , 11-4.
The Scottsboro-Jackson Heritage Center is a museum located in Scottsboro, Alabama. The center was established in 2005 as a tribute to the history and culture of Jackson County. The center is housed in the historic Swaim House, which was built in the late 1800s and served as a hospital during the Civil War. Today, the Swaim House is a beautifully restored building that houses the museum’s exhibits, which tell the story of Jackson County and its people.
The museum’s exhibits include artifacts and displays that cover a range of topics, from the area’s Native American history to the impact of the Civil War on the region. Visitors can explore the center’s exhibits at their own pace, and there are knowledgeable staff members available to answer any questions and provide additional information about the displays.
One of the center’s most notable exhibits is the one dedicated to the Scottsboro Boys, a group of nine African American teenagers who were falsely accused of rape in 1931. The Scottsboro Boys were the subject of a highly publicized and controversial trial that lasted several years, and the case is considered to be a significant moment in the Civil Rights Movement. The exhibit tells the story of the Scottsboro Boys and their struggle for justice, and includes artifacts and documents related to the case.
The Scottsboro-Jackson Heritage Center is also home to a collection of Native American artifacts, including arrowheads, pottery, and other items that provide insight into the region’s indigenous history. The museum also features exhibits that explore the impact of the Civil War on Jackson County, as well as the history of the area’s agriculture and industry.
In addition to its exhibits, the Scottsboro-Jackson Heritage Center hosts a variety of events and programs throughout the year. These include educational programs for children, workshops on traditional crafts and skills, and special events that highlight the history and culture of Jackson County.
Visitors to the Scottsboro-Jackson Heritage Center can also explore the surrounding area, which is rich in history and natural beauty. Jackson County is home to several state parks, including Buck’s Pocket State Park, which offers hiking trails, fishing, and camping. The area is also known for its scenic drives, including the Lookout Mountain Parkway, which offers stunning views of the Appalachian Mountains.
Overall, the Scottsboro-Jackson Heritage Center is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in the history and culture of Jackson County and the surrounding region. With its informative exhibits, knowledgeable staff, and rich cultural programming, the center offers a unique and engaging experience that is sure to leave a lasting impression on visitors. Whether you’re a history buff or simply looking for a fun and educational outing, the Scottsboro-Jackson Heritage Center is well worth a visit.
Things to do around Scottsboro, Alabama:
- Unclaimed Baggage Center: Shop for unique items from unclaimed luggage at this one-of-a-kind retail store.
- Scottsboro Boys Museum and Cultural Center: Learn about the historical case of the Scottsboro Boys and its impact on the American civil rights movement.
- Goose Pond Colony Resort: Enjoy golf, fishing, camping, and dining at this scenic lakeside resort.
- Lake Guntersville State Park: Hike, camp, or picnic while taking in beautiful views of Lake Guntersville.
- Walls of Jericho Trailhead: Embark on a challenging hike through the beautiful wilderness, leading to a stunning waterfall.
- Cathedral Caverns State Park: Explore the massive cave system, featuring beautiful stalagmites, stalactites, and other natural formations.
- Jackson County Park: Spend a relaxing day at the park, with picnic areas, playgrounds, and a fishing pier.
- Main Street Anniston: Stroll through the historic downtown area and visit local shops, restaurants, and art galleries.
- The Heritage Center: Dive into local history at this museum, showcasing artifacts and stories from the region.
- Jackson County Courthouse: Admire the beautiful architecture of this historic building in downtown Scottsboro.