111 W Laurel Ave Foley, AL 36535
The Baldwin Museum Foundation is a nonprofit organization in Foley, Alabama, that aims to preserve and share the cultural heritage of Baldwin County. The Foundation operates a museum that houses a collection of artifacts, photographs, and documents dating back to the prehistoric era, as well as exhibits on the area's industries and history. The organization also offers educational programs and workshops, guided tours, and a research library open to the public. The Foundation is funded by donations and grants, and is governed by a volunteer board of directors. Its success is a testament to the dedication and passion of its supporters, who have worked tirelessly to preserve and share the history of Baldwin County with future generations.
Educational programs and workshops, guided tours
The Baldwin Museum Foundation, located in Foley, Alabama, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and sharing the history of Baldwin County. Founded in 1984, the Foundation operates a museum that houses a collection of artifacts, photographs, and documents that showcase the area’s rich cultural heritage. The museum is a popular attraction for visitors to the Gulf Coast region and offers educational opportunities for school groups and other organizations.
The Baldwin Museum Foundation’s collection includes artifacts dating back to the prehistoric era, as well as items from the Civil War, World War I, and World War II. The museum also features exhibits on agriculture, fishing, and other important industries that have shaped the area’s history. One of the most unique items in the collection is a hand-carved wooden duck, which was made by a local craftsman in the 1800s and is believed to be one of the oldest decoys in existence.
In addition to its museum, the Baldwin Museum Foundation also operates a research library that contains a wealth of information on local history and genealogy. The library is open to the public and offers resources such as books, manuscripts, and microfilm. The Foundation also offers educational programs and workshops for children and adults, as well as guided tours of the museum and surrounding historic sites.
The Foundation’s mission is to “preserve, collect, and share the cultural heritage of Baldwin County.” To that end, the organization works closely with local historians, educators, and community members to ensure that the museum’s collection and programs are relevant and engaging for visitors of all ages. The Foundation also partners with other museums and historical organizations throughout the state to promote the preservation of Alabama’s rich cultural heritage.
One of the Foundation’s primary goals is to make its collection and resources accessible to the community. In addition to its regular operating hours, the museum hosts special events throughout the year, such as book signings, art exhibits, and historical reenactments. The Foundation also offers a variety of volunteer opportunities for those who wish to contribute to the preservation of local history.
The Baldwin Museum Foundation is funded through donations from individuals, corporations, and grants from government agencies. The organization is governed by a volunteer board of directors and is staffed by a team of dedicated professionals and volunteers. The Foundation’s success is a testament to the passion and commitment of its supporters, who have worked tirelessly to preserve and share the history of Baldwin County with future generations.
In conclusion, the Baldwin Museum Foundation in Foley, Alabama, is an important cultural institution that plays a vital role in preserving and sharing the history of Baldwin County. Through its museum, research library, educational programs, and community partnerships, the Foundation has become a beacon of learning and inspiration for visitors of all ages. Whether you are a history buff, a student, or simply curious about the world around you, a visit to the Baldwin Museum Foundation is sure to be a memorable and enlightening experience.
Museums in Baldwin County, Alabama:
- Baldwin County Heritage Museum: located in Elberta, Alabama, the museum features exhibits on local history, including Native American artifacts, Civil War memorabilia, and exhibits on the area’s agricultural and fishing industries.
- Baldwin Museum of Art: located in Fairhope, Alabama, the museum features rotating exhibits of contemporary art, as well as a permanent collection of works by local and regional artists.
- Foley Railroad Museum: located in Foley, Alabama, the museum features exhibits on the history of rail transportation in the area, including a restored 1928 train depot and a collection of vintage train cars.
- Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center and IMAX Theater: located in Mobile, Alabama, the museum features interactive exhibits on science and technology, as well as an IMAX theater showing educational films.
- Mobile Museum of Art: located in Mobile, Alabama, the museum features a collection of more than 10,000 works of art from around the world, including paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts.
- National Museum of Naval Aviation: located in Pensacola, Florida (just across the state line from Baldwin County), the museum features exhibits on the history of naval aviation, including aircraft, artifacts, and interactive displays.
- USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park: located in Mobile, Alabama, the park features the USS Alabama battleship, as well as a collection of military aircraft and other exhibits related to military history.