4325 Alabama Highway 128 Alexander City, AL 35010
Situated south of Alexander City on Alabama Highway 128, Wind Creek State Park encompasses 1,444 acres along the stunning Lake Martin shoreline, making it the largest state-owned campground in Alabama. This breathtaking park offers a diverse range of outdoor recreation, camping, and world-class fishing opportunities. As the public's access to Lake Martin, Wind Creek State Park serves as the basecamp for exploring the majestic beauty of Alabama State Parks. Boasting a myriad of activities to fill your vacation, the park is a haven for those who love hiking, horseback riding, boating, swimming, or fishing, making Wind Creek State Park a true paradise for outdoor enthusiasts.
Hiking trails, swimming, boating, fishing, archery range, pavilions, picnicking, zipline canopy tours, boat rentals (including pontoon boats, bass boats, canoes, paddle boats, and kayaks), annual fishing tournaments and special events, cabin rentals, horse riding cabins, horse camping area, Creem At The Creek restaurant, guided trail hikes, nature explorers, bingo, Sunday services, local attractions, marina, putt-putt golf course, Rockin' K guided trail rides, day-use area, Vulcan Orienteering Club (VOC).
Day Use Area
with lodging and camping
Nestled in the heart of Alabama, Wind Creek State Park offers visitors an unparalleled escape into nature. With its vast expanse covering 1,444 acres of pristine land, the park’s most striking feature is the glittering Lake Martin. This magnificent body of water stretches along the park’s shoreline, providing the perfect backdrop for a day of adventure and tranquility. As you explore Wind Creek, you’ll discover an angler’s utopia with a bounty of fish species, including crappie, bluegill, and striped bass. The excitement builds as you join one of the many fishing tournaments held throughout the year, where you’ll have the chance to compete with fellow fishing enthusiasts.
Dare to push your limits at Chimney Rock, one of Lake Martin’s hidden treasures. This exhilarating spot is a must-visit for those seeking an adrenaline rush, as it offers the opportunity to leap into the refreshing waters below. Afterward, unwind at the picturesque North Picnic Area, where you can swim, fish, or simply bask in the beauty of your surroundings. As the sun begins to set, make your way to Creem@The Creek, a charming eatery where you can refuel with scrumptious food and refreshing beverages.
Wind Creek State Park boasts an impressive 586 campsites, ensuring that visitors have ample space to relish the great outdoors. Whether you’re staying at a waterfront campsite with 30-amp service or one of the 18 with sewer services, you’re guaranteed a memorable experience. The park also offers 211 sewer campsites and 216 base campsites, each with 30-amp service.
For those who prefer a touch of comfort during their wilderness adventure, Wind Creek State Park features seven cozy camping cabins, one of which is handicap accessible. These quaint cabins are equipped with air conditioning, kitchenettes, and private bathrooms. All you need to bring are your own linens, towels, cooking, and eating utensils to enjoy a comfortable stay amid the breathtaking scenery.
The 39 premium campsites at Wind Creek State Park are designed with your ultimate convenience in mind. These sites come with water, sewer, and 50/30/20 amp electrical service. Additionally, they offer waterfront access and even TV service for those moments when you want to unwind with some entertainment. Among these upgraded sites, three are newly renovated and handicap accessible, ensuring that everyone has the chance to experience the park’s wonders.
As you wander through Wind Creek State Park, you’ll find bathhouse and playground facilities thoughtfully placed throughout the area. These amenities cater to the needs of visitors young and old, making the park an ideal destination for families seeking quality time together in nature.
Equestrian enthusiasts will be delighted to learn that Wind Creek State Park also features a separate area designated for equestrian camping. These 20 first-come-first-serve campsites are equipped with 30-amp electrical and water service, providing a comfortable and convenient base for you and your equine companion.
So, pack your bags and embark on an unforgettable journey to Wind Creek State Park in Alabama, where you’ll find a world of natural beauty, thrilling adventures, and serene moments to cherish. Whether you’re an avid angler, an adrenaline junkie, or simply seeking a peaceful retreat, Wind Creek State Park has something for everyone to enjoy.
Outdoor recreational opportunities near Wind Creek State Park
- Chimney Rock: A popular spot on Lake Martin, Chimney Rock is a thrilling destination for cliff jumping and swimming, allowing visitors to test their nerves and enjoy the refreshing water.
- Smith Mountain Fire Tower: Hike the trail to the historic Smith Mountain Fire Tower, where you can climb to the top for a panoramic view of the surrounding landscape, offering a picturesque and serene experience.
- Lake Martin Amphitheater: This outdoor amphitheater hosts concerts, festivals, and community events, providing a unique entertainment experience against the backdrop of the beautiful Lake Martin.
- D.A.R.E. Power Park: Located on the shores of Lake Martin, D.A.R.E. Power Park offers numerous recreational activities, such as picnicking, swimming, and fishing, making it an ideal spot for a family outing.
- Russell Crossroads: A charming village featuring shops, restaurants, and walking trails, Russell Crossroads is perfect for a leisurely stroll and a bite to eat while appreciating the natural beauty of the area.
- Central Alabama Community College Disc Golf Course: Test your skills at this well-maintained disc golf course, featuring challenging holes and beautiful scenery, making it an enjoyable outdoor activity for both beginners and experienced players.
- Union Volunteer Fire Department’s Corn Maze: Open seasonally, this family-friendly corn maze offers an exciting adventure as you navigate through twists and turns, with the added fun of solving clues and puzzles along the way.
- Kowaliga Marina: Rent a boat or jet ski at Kowaliga Marina, and explore the vast expanse of Lake Martin, discovering hidden coves and picturesque spots for a memorable day on the water.