51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores, AL 36542.
During the Battle of Mobile Bay it was home to Confederate forces. Known as "one of the finest examples of military architecture in the New World." historic-landmark
artillery batteries, museum, bird sanctuary, fishing pier,boat launch, picnic area, auto ferry
8 am- 5 pm Daily
Fort Morgan State Historic Site is a fascinating attraction located in Baldwin County, Alabama, at the mouth of Mobile Bay. The fort was constructed in the early 19th century to protect the United States from foreign invasion, and played an important role in several historic conflicts, including the Battle of Mobile Bay during the Civil War. Today, visitors can tour the fort and learn about its history through interactive exhibits and knowledgeable tour guides.
The fort is situated on a beautiful stretch of beach, providing visitors with the opportunity to combine history and relaxation in one trip. Visitors can enjoy a picnic on the beach or take a swim in the crystal-clear waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The site also offers a variety of outdoor recreational activities, including fishing, boating, and hiking.
In addition to the fort itself, the site also includes a museum, which features artifacts and exhibits that showcase the rich history of the area. Visitors can learn about the native peoples who inhabited the area prior to European settlement, as well as the role that the fort played in shaping the history of Alabama and the United States as a whole. The museum also features a gift shop, where visitors can purchase souvenirs to commemorate their visit.
Overall, Fort Morgan State Historic Site is a must-visit destination for history buffs and outdoor enthusiasts alike. With its stunning location, rich history, and array of recreational activities, it offers something for everyone. Whether you’re looking to explore the past, soak up the sun on the beach, or simply enjoy a day out with the family, Fort Morgan is the perfect destination.
- Tour the historic fort and learn about its role in shaping the history of Alabama and the United States
- Explore the museum and view exhibits and artifacts that showcase the rich history of the area
- Enjoy the beautiful stretch of beach and take a swim in the Gulf of Mexico
- Have a picnic on the beach with family or friends
- Engage in outdoor recreational activities such as fishing, boating, and hiking
- Visit the gift shop and purchase souvenirs to commemorate your visit
- Attend special events and programs offered by the site, such as living history reenactments and educational programs
- Take in the stunning views of Mobile Bay and the surrounding natural beauty
- Learn about the native peoples who inhabited the area prior to European settlement
- Appreciate the fort’s architecture and engineering, which was cutting-edge for its time.