McWane Science Center 200 19th Street N, Birmingham, AL 35203
Established 11 July 1998, known as the McWane Center, science museum and research archive, Smart Café, The Blue Plate, Subway, Red Mango Frozen Yogurt, Pizza Hut Station,Hot Off the Grill Station
aquarium, and 280-seat IMAX Dome Theater,state-of-the-art science center, interactive exhibits, Challenger Learning Center, World of Water exhibit, Alabama Collections Center, Itty Bitty Magic City exhibit, a water play area, climbing structure
The McWane Science Center is a non-profit science museum located in Birmingham, Alabama. The museum has been open since 1998 and provides hands-on interactive exhibits for visitors of all ages to explore science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) concepts. The McWane Science Center is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Alabama and has won several awards for its innovative exhibits.
One of the main attractions of the McWane Science Center is its four floors of interactive exhibits that allow visitors to learn about science in a fun and engaging way. Visitors can explore the world of dinosaurs, travel to outer space, and learn about the human body through exhibits that include interactive displays, touchable specimens, and life-size models. The museum also features an IMAX dome theater that shows educational films on a variety of topics, including science, nature, and space.
In addition to its exhibits, the McWane Science Center offers educational programs for students and teachers. The museum hosts field trips for schools, where students can participate in hands-on science activities and explore the exhibits with trained educators. The museum also offers summer camps and other educational programs for children, as well as professional development workshops for teachers.
The McWane Science Center is also committed to sustainability and conservation. The museum features exhibits on environmental science, including a display on the impact of plastic waste on the world’s oceans. The museum also uses renewable energy sources and has implemented sustainable practices throughout the facility, including water conservation and recycling programs.
The McWane Science Center has been recognized for its innovative exhibits and educational programs. The museum has won several awards, including the 2019 Governor’s Award for Excellence in Tourism and the 2020 Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice Award. The McWane Science Center is a member of the Association of Science and Technology Centers and participates in collaborative projects with other museums around the world.
In conclusion, the McWane Science Center in Birmingham, Alabama, is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in science and technology. With its interactive exhibits, educational programs, and commitment to sustainability, the museum provides a unique and engaging learning experience for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re a student, a teacher, or a curious traveler, the McWane Science Center has something to offer everyone.
Top things to do at The McWane Science Center
- Explore the four floors of interactive exhibits that cover topics like dinosaurs, outer space, and the human body.
- Catch an educational film at the IMAX dome theater, which shows movies on science, nature, and space.
- Participate in hands-on science activities during a field trip or educational program.
- Attend a summer camp or workshop to learn about a specific science topic or concept.
- Learn about environmental science and sustainability through exhibits that focus on topics like plastic waste and renewable energy.
- Visit the gift shop, which offers a variety of science-themed toys, books, and souvenirs.
- Check the museum’s calendar for special events, such as science demonstrations, guest speakers, or holiday-themed activities.
- Take a break and grab a snack or meal at the museum’s café, which offers a variety of food and beverage options.